Follow Cookwork on Twitter
Follow Cookwork on Facebook

Recent Posts

Subscribe to Recent Posts 1862 posts found

Jan 6, 2010
Thumb_screen%20shot%202009-12-11%20at%202 christian wa... 324 posts

Culinary Students / Expectations of the Culinary Student

I have been doing some research for you, and depending on your local legislation and demographics, I found that you may be available for a grant as a minority in your area. The government will help you open a business if you can represent that you are a minority of the business owners in the area that you are trying to open. So you first need to define your location, then determine whether you are a minority business owner. Meaning that you as a woman and your race represent a minority umoungst the other businesses. Plus, the government also has grants for a foodservice operation where one does not exist. You may be able to receive extra funds for being the first. Next, you will need a business model (plan:which you can find help in “Esacape from Alcatraz”), a business liscence, and some luck. You could be living your dream, but the process will determine your conviction.

Dec 31, 2009
Thumb_m_cb02f0dfc205a14ac3bd4467aedf03af_1_ libbi 4 posts

My ideal is to have my own business. I have manage serval retail stores for 30 years. A bakery, coffeshop, or a spice shop. Teaching maybe to young kids.

Dec 31, 2009
Thumb_meg_bridge oceanchef 1 post

Cooking / Cooking Competition or Reality Show

It’s always been here, i remember watching the Galloping gormet when i was 5 years old. the grand daddy of cooking showes, even at that age i liked food and whom ever fixed it.

Dec 29, 2009
Thumb_comes marctarragona 1 post

Living Abroad / Traveling chef

Hey Bert.

I’m new in this page and i’ve been reading your messages and we happen to have a lot in common.

I’m 34 years old and started to travel about 10 years ago, to Cuba. I was there aprox. 2 years. Then to Cancun, after to Dominican Republic and finaly to Venezuela. For 7 years I’ve been working with a lot of people, a lot of cultures, learned from it and discovered many faboulous things of live. Extraordinay.

And went back to spain 3 years ago and i want to start a new adventure. I need to improve my english, beacuse it’s insufficient to lead a team of chefs in a country with english language, and i want a go to the UK or something simillar to improve my english.

I would like to travel to the USA to work there, applied for a green card but its hard to get.

that allows me to continue to develop and enjoy my career in the different ways of cooking.

Stay in touch

Dec 27, 2009
Thumb_myself_with_egg michalschlierer 29 posts

Let’s face it: these shows have helped to turn the image of our profession from that of social misfits and cultural underdogs to respectability or even stardom!
Sure enough, our profession still holds nearly last place in terms of income ranking and we all know that continuous price pressure will put many small independant restaurants out of business in the near future.
However: there never have been more culinary students in the pipeline, not just picking up the trade as they go along, but getting a founded education. While celebrity status will be reached by only a few, I am sure that the ‘delusion’ created by chef shows is a motivator for many.
It’s also up to us to create a reality which is good enough for new chefs to stick to their career!

Dec 15, 2009
Thumb_418621814_98d68e6bf6_z Sugarpie 44 posts

Anyone who believes reality television is “real,” should pull their head out of the sand.  Anyone over the age of 16 who believes anything they read or see on television, the internet, or from the news stand, is without bias is living in a fantasy world.  Bias, good or bad, deliberate or subconscious is everywhere.  That is something to be expected.  It is impossible to control bias.  Just watch the 6 ‘clock news!  I don’t even watch the news anymore for that very reason.  Bias.  As far as the reality shows are concerned, viewers must realize that the purpose of these shows is to entertain. Just like any television show, whether it be Law & Order or Grey’s Anatomy, careers on television are glamorized and sensationalized.  I doubt most intelligent people out there believe their lives will be anything like the actors on the television dramas or the celebrity chef wannabes on the reality cooking shows.  And if they do, well, live and learn.

Dec 15, 2009

Granted the First Amendment rights, but “Is there a
control in place or standard to insure that the content we receive is
real?” Are we crossing the line of a negligible act by creating reality
where there is none and then fantasizing the career to young viewers which
ultimately want the dream, but do not want to work to achieve it (or will
they continue to work even if it is unattainable)? Are we breeding the wrong notion
by promoting the lifestyle like sports figures were/are in the 80’s & 90’s?

Dec 15, 2009
Thumb_dsc03185 harold 1 post

Living Abroad / Traveling chef

I am sorry to hear that you are about the lose your job! I got layed off once a few years ago, which sent me into a real crisis. So what are your plans now? Did anything evolve since closure of the restaurant? If you have a minute, please share with the community: one of the reasons for this network is that we can support each other!

Dec 14, 2009

Excellent. You have a leg up with maturity and business that can add to your offering as a graduate. First, I think it is important to ask, “wht do you wnt to do?” There are many different fields that may offer a better lifestyle beyond the $8 hour line cook. How important is it to experience that part of your career so that you can understand the core of being a chef and fixing problems. So, lete me understand taht first and then we can discover the path. I will point you in the right direction.

Dec 11, 2009
Thumb_m_cb02f0dfc205a14ac3bd4467aedf03af_1_ libbi 4 posts

Hi Chef, I have a background in retail mangement.In addition, to running a cake business from my home and a daycare. I have worked many hoildays and weekends. My Current Chef instrutor tells us we will only be making about $8.oo and hour after grad. I feel that since I have been taught top notch cooking skills, I should enter above entry level. I am a 4.0 student. I am also starting this late in life. I am 50. Any advice u have, would be very welcome. Thank you for your response.
libbi

Next page

Spinner Loading